As the winter approaches it becomes more and more difficult to eat healthy, because we’re really craving for warm comfort food. This dish helps with the winter cravings as it is both very filling and tasty, but it’s carb free and healthy.
It’s really easy to make, it’s a mixture of several recipes, so not really my creation, just passing along the knowledge. It is based on the stuffed aubergine recipes out there, so feel free to mix and match as you prefer as well.
Aubergine – one or two, depending how many people you are trying to feed; this one was made with two
Turkey mince – again depends how many people, I used 750g
4 large tomatoes
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves
Half a lime
Grated mozzarella light cheese
Salt (and black pepper)
How to make it:
• Season the turkey meat with salt (and black pepper if you are not allergic). Set aside.
• Chop the aubergines into little squares and boil it for 10 minutes. Set aside.
• Chop the onions and garlic, heat up a bit of olive oil in a large frying pan, and once it’s hot add the onions and garlic.
• Once the onion turns slightly golden add the mincemeat. Stir it to make sure it fries. Add the aubergine and let it cook for a few minutes.
• Whisk the eggs together with the lime juice and pour it on top of the mincemeat and aubergine mixture, mix it well and turn off the hob.
• Chop the tomatoes and set aside.
• Place the meat in a large oven tray, make sure you poor all the meat juices as well, so it doesn’t dry up.
• Add a tomato layer and finally spread the cheese on top.
• Place it in the oven for about 10-15 min to grill the cheese on top and it’s ready to serve.