When we were staying in Jogja (for just over two weeks) we stumbled upon this restaurant, just a short walk away from our hotel. When I say stumble, I really mean that. It is located at the end of a small alley that happened to be in front of the entrance to our local supermarket. First time we walked out of the store, caring watermelons and dragon fruit, we saw it and thought ‘we should check it out’. I won’t lie, I did a little googling first (of course I did, is there anyone who doesn’t these days?). It seemed to have good reviews and it said it was a ‘Vietnamese & Thai restaurant’, which we thought would be a good break from all the Indonesian food we were eating.
Oh but it was so much more than that.
The first time we popped into Indochine it became immediately clear that we’d have to come back. It has one of those menus that, how do I put this without sounding like a piggy, makes you want to eat it all. And so we did. Or at least we tried.
From all the dinners and lunches we had there (and trust me, there were quite a few), here’s what I can absolutely 100% recommend (by which I mean, do it, it’s DELICIOUS!):
- Crispy spring rolls chicken – I mean, these are snacks made of heaven I am sure. Sure people think ‘spring rolls are spring rolls’, not THESE! Believe you me, these are heaven! (The vegetarian ones are pretty good too, but OMG the chicken!)
- Mini Vietnamese pancakes – now I don’t know if this was just a ‘month special’, cause I can’t find it on the online menu, but I swear I never tasted anything this good! It was Amazing, and I wasn’t even sure of what I was eating
- Pho – I only tried the chicken one without chili or spices and I thought it was delicious, so I bet if you have the proper one (allergies allowing) you’ll love it even more
- Caramel shrimps – these were my favourite favourite. So yummy, so delicious, so GOOD! (gosh I am getting hungry now)
- Basil Chicken – this was the hubby’s favourite. He said it was simply fantastic
- Pineapple fried rice – you better be hungry cause this was one massive portion of deliciousness
- Chocolate waffle – this was HEAVEN! So good! My only critic is that they should be open for breakfast so that I could have these waffles Every. Single. Morning.
We also loved the soups BTW (however if you only go once, screw soup, get the crispy rolls!). I was gutted I didn’t have enough time to try the following: Tom yam, Nasi goreng tenderloin and Vietnam pancake (the big one). Oh and their melted cheese thing. They have a melted cheese thing! (Can’t believe I didn’t try it, so disappointed at myself right now).
There were also some things we didn’t like as much, but not because they weren’t good, they just weren’t really our thing. These included: the shrimp summer rolls, the steam rice rolls and the lemongrass chicken skewers. (The skewers were more like a chicken paste, rather than actual chunks of chicken, which is what we expected, so it might be that it was a case of reality not meeting expectation. But it is one of the favourites there, and recommended, so don’t let me stop you from trying it. Unless you don’t like chicken pasty things). Oh and hubby didn’t love the Pad Thai, said the noodles were too thick… I didn’t try it, was too busy stuffing myself with crispy rolls and waffles.
As for price, not expensive at all (at least comparing to western prices)! A meal with starters and main course would costs us around IDR 135,000 (£7.58) to IDR 140,000, I think we paid IDR 160,000 (£9) when we had all that PLUS dessert.
Here are the restaurant details. Hope you enjoy it!
Website – http://indochinejogja.com/
Address – Jl. Kledokan Seturan (depan Superindo), Caturtunggal, Kecamatan Depok, Caturtunggal, Kec. Depok, Kabupaten Sleman, Daerah Istimewa Yogyakarta 55281